Dr. Jeffrey M. Cumming
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
960 Carling Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0C6
- Current Research Projects
- Professional Activities
- Ph.D. (Entomology) 1986 - University of Alberta, Edmonton.
- B.Sc. (Honours Biology) 1977 - University of Guelph, Guelph.
Current Research Projects
- Various systematic studies on predaceous empidoid flies.
- World fauna and classification of predaceous empidoid flies.
- Phylogeny and higher classification of brachyceran Diptera.
- Morphology of Diptera
- present - 1999: Adjunct Professor, Department of Natural Resource Sciences, Macdonald Campus, McGill University, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue.
- present - 1999: Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History, New York.
- present - 1999: Research Associate, Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad, Santo Domingo, Costa Rica.
- present - 2005: Associate Editor, Canadian Journal of Arthropod Identification.
- present - 2009: Vice President, CanaColl Foundation.
- present - 2001: Co-PI or Collaborator on grants from NSERC, National Science Foundation (USA), and Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (UK).
- present - 1999: Member Lyman Entomological Museum Committee.
- 2012 - 2010: Guest Editor, Canadian Entomologist 143(6), 144(1-2) for Diptera Festschrift honouring the co-ordinators of the Manual of Nearctic Diptera.
- 2011 – 2008: Director, Dipterology Fund.
- 2011 - 1995: Member, Grants Committee, Dipterology Fund.
- 2011 - 1988: Operator, North American Dipterists' Society.
- 2010 - 2005: Co-editor, Manual of Central American Diptera.
- 2009 - 2005: Chair of the Curatorial Committee, Canadian National Collection of Insects, Arachnids & Nematodes, Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa.
- 2009 - 1986: Unit Curator of Diptera, Canadian National Collection of Insects, Arachnids & Nematodes, Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa.
- 2009 - 1987: Chair, Grants Committee, CanaColl Foundation.
- 2007 - 1988: Co-editor, The Fly Times newsletter.
- 2006: Organizer, Empidoidea Workshop, 6th International Congress of Dipterology, Fukuoka, Japan.
- 2006 - 2002: Director, Biological Survey Foundation.
- 2005 – 2002: Member, Scientific Committee of the Biological Survey of Canada (Terrestrial Arthropods).
- 2000: Co-organizer, Entomological Collections Network. Annual meeting, Montreal, Canada.
- 2000: Organizer, Symposium on Systematics and Phylogeny of Diptera, 21st International Congress of Entomology, Iguassu Falls, Brazil.
- 1999 - 1996: Graduate Student Advisor, Department of Natural Resource Sciences, Macdonald Campus, McGill University, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue.
- 1998 - 1996: Associate Instructor, Department of Zoology, University of Toronto, Toronto.
- 1996: Coordinator, Diptera Taxonomic Working Group for the All Taxa Biodiversity Inventory, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
- 1995: Member of Selection Committee for Federal Biosystematics Group Fellowship.
- 1994: Chair, Ethology Section, 3rd International Congress of Dipterology, University of Guelph, Guelph.
- 1994 - 1990: Member of Organizing Committee, Third International Congress of Dipterology, Guelph.
- 1993 - 1988: Graduate Student Advisor, Department of Biology, Carleton University, Ottawa.
- 1992: NSF Visiting Curator, Gressitt Center for Research in Entomology, Bishop Museum, Honolulu.
- 1989-86: Director, Entomological Society of Ontario.
- 1988: Chair and Section Organizer, Taxonomy , Zoogeography and Paleontology of Hymenoptera, 18th International Congress of Entomology, Vancouver.
- Over 100 research, miscellaneous, and electronic publications, mostly on
the systematics, morphology, ecology and behaviour of predaceous empidoid
flies. To see a list of these along with pdf files of some, click here.
This page last updated on
Dr. J.H. Skevington
Canadian National Collection of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes
Home | Role | History | CanaColl | Units | Index