Definitions For Glossary Terms
- (pl., galeae) Outer, apical lobe of the
- The posteriormost of the three main body regions of a chalcid, which
looks like the insect abdomen but excludes both the first 'true'
abdominal segment, the propodeum,
and the second 'true' abdominal segment, the
petiole (see also
- GASTRAL TAIL
- In some Agaonidae, term used for the composite tail-like structure
formed by the ovipositor and
elongated one or two last metasomal terga.
- Side of the head below the temple,
that is, the lateral surface of the head behind the eye and below the
eye posterior to the malar sulcus,
if present. [drawing][photo]
- GENAL BRIDGE
See postgenal bridge
- GENAL CARINA
- Ridge on the gena that extends from
the ventrolateral corner of the mouth cavity toward or partly behind the
eye; unlike the occipital carina
a genal carina is not continuous dorsally.
- GENAL HOLLOW
See malar depression
- GENAL MARGIN
- Margin of the mouth cavity on
the lateral surface of the head above the mandible.
- GENAL SULCUS
See malar sulcus
- Elbowed, or being abruptly angled.
- GENITAL CAPSULE
- Combined structures of the male genitalia, which usually consists of
a more or less tubular phallobase
surrounding an aedeagus; sometimes
also called the phallus. [drawing]
- (pl., glossae) Inner pair of lobes at the apex of the
prementum of the
labium, which combined with the
paraglossae form the 'fleshy'
- (pl., gonangula) Synonymous with
first valvifer and
hypothesized to represent a detached portion of the
gonocoxa of the ninth abdominal
- (pl., gonapophyses) Mesal appendage (process) of the
gonocoxa; the gonapophyses of the
eighth abdominal segment form the first
valvulae and the gonapophyses of the ninth abdominal segment form
the second valvulae.
- GONOBASE See
- (pl., gonocoxae) The presumptive coxae of the genital
segments, abdominal segments eight and nine; in Hymenoptera the
second valvifer is considered
to be the gonocoxa of the ninth abdominal segment, whereas the gonocoxa
of the eighth segment is hypothesized to be lost and the
first valvifer is thought to
be derived from a detached portion of the gonocoxa of the ninth segment,
- GONOPLACS See
- (pl., gonostyli) Stylus of a genital segment, the eighth and
ninth abdominal segments.
- Posteromedian region of the head ventral to the
posterior tentorial pits,
between the occipital foramen
and hypostomae, which is delineated
laterally by the gular sulcus
(see also postgenal bridge
and hypostomal bridge).
- GULAR SULCUS
- Paired, subparallel sulci on the posterior of the head between the
occipital foramen and
hypostomae that distinguish the
outer margins of the gula.