Definitions For Glossary Terms
- Often used as a synonym of adpressed,
but simply meaning to project out at an angle from a structure and then bent
back toward the structure (compare with erect).
- Elongate triangular.
- DIGITAL SPINES
- One or more curved spines at the apex of the volsella (see also digitus). [drawing][photo]
- DIGITATE LABRUM
- Labrum that is deeply emarginate so as to
- Apically differentiated region of the volsella, which usually bears digital spines. [drawing][photo]
- Membranous region of the forewing beyond the basal cell.
- Median, longitudinal sulcus on the ventral surface of the mesothorax, which
is terminated posteriorly by the mesofurcal
pit and is external indication of an invaginated phragma. [photo][photo]
- DISTAL / DISTAD
See apical / apex
- DORSAL / DORSAD
- At or toward the top or upper surface of the body or structure (above). [drawing]
- DORSAL APERTURE OF THE
- Opening on the anterodorsal surface of the phallobase through which the aedeagus is inserted through the male genital capsule. [photo]
- DORSAL EXPANSION OF GONOBASE
See dorsal lamina
- DORSAL LAMINA
- Posterodorsal surface of the phallobase
posterior to the dorsal
aperture of the phallobase. [photo]
- The central, usually convex median portion of the metanotum that is differentiated from the more
concave lateral panel of the
- Prefix meaning toward the top or upper surface of a structure, e.g.