José L. Fernández-Triana, Ph.D.
E-mail: Jose.Fernandez@agr.gc.ca, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Systematics, ecology and biology of parasitoid wasps (Hymenoptera: Braconidae, Ichneumonidae), especially the subfamily Microgastrinae
- DNA barcoding applied to taxonomy
- Biodiversity inventories with emphasis on the Canadian fauna
- Biological control
Current Research Projects
- Taxonomic studies on Canadian Braconidae
- DNA barcoding of parasitoid Hymenoptera
- Taxonomic reviews of Microgastrinae (Braconidae) from Costa Rica, New Zealand, Arabian Peninsula, Thailand and Madagascar
- Braconid blog - http://cncbraconidae.blogspot.ca/
- This blog is an effort to promote and encourage the study of braconid wasps (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) parasitoids of caterpillars (Lepidoptera). There is a notorious scarcity of resources available on the Web about this important group of insects. For that reason, basic data on species and new information on its distribution and biology will be provided here. The initial focus will be on Canada and related temperate areas (Nearctic and Palearctic regions, comprising North America, Europa and the northern parts of Asia), although the coverage may expand over time.
The contents are especially addressed to those working on biological control of agriculture and forestry pests, biodiversity researchers, ecologists and taxonomists. It also hopes to reach to citizen scientists and natural history enthusiasts interested in rearing caterpillars. This site wants to become a forum where ideas and questions on the topics mentioned above can be freely exchanged. Comments, criticisms, and contributions are very welcome and greatly appreciated.
One example of the varied topics is:
"Canadian Microgastrinae described by L. A. Provancher. Part I"
[click to view topic in blog]
- International Society of Hymenopterists (2000-present)
- Entomological Society of Canada (2006-2009)
- Cuban Academy of Sciences (2002-2006)
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society. Full member (2005-2007)
- Entomological Society of Ontario, Canada (2007-2008)
- Aragon Entomological Society, Spain (2002-2006)
- Cuban Society of Zoology (2002-2006)
- Over 55 refereed articles, book chapters, technical bulletins and other miscellaneous papers. To see a list of the research publications, click here.
This page last updated on
Canadian National Collection
of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes
Home | Role | History | CanaColl | Units | Index