Definitions For Glossary Terms
- HAIR LINE
- See setal line
- HAIRLESS STREAK
- Rarely used general term to designate either a linea calva or speculum on the
- Curved or hook-like setae on the leading edge of the hind wing that are used
to grasp the retinaculum of the forewing
to couple the forewing and hind wing together during flight.
- The first or anteriormost of the three main body regions of an insect, which
bears the mouthparts and major sense organs. [drawing]
- HIND WINGS
- Pair of wings borne on the metathorax.
- HUMERAL PLATE
- Basally thickened part of the forewing just beyond the tegula, which is differentiated from the rest of
the wing by a constriction and which likely was derived from fusion of the bases
of some ancestral veins. [drawing]
- HYALINE BREAK
- Term sometimes used for a small clear region or 'break' in the submarginal vein near the parastigma.
- In Mymaridae, a long seta that projects backward from the anterior margin of
the ventral surface of the forewing from within a slender membranous region in
front of the marginal vein; see also macrochaeta and microchaeta. [drawing]
- Position of the head if the long axis is oriented somewhat obliquely in line
with the procoxae and the mouthparts are directed somewhat posteriorly; often
used as a synonym of orthognathous .
- The last or posteriormost metasomal sternum. [drawing]
- (pl., hypostomae) Posterior, more or less inflected portion of the
head capsule on either side of and often dorsal to the labiomaxillary complex, which is
delimited laterally by the hypostomal
- HYPOSTOMAL BRIDGE
- Term used for a posteromedian region of the head between the occipital foramen and mouth cavity if delimited laterally by hypostomal carinae (see also gula and postgenal bridge). [photo]
- HYPOSTOMAL CARINA
- Carinate margin of the mouth cavity on the posterior surface of the head
that surrounds the labiomaxillary